- Focus Areas
- Agricultural Pest Management
- Ecology/Biological Control
- Evolutionary Biology
- Freshwater and Estuarine Entomology
- Insect Pathology
- Molecular Biology, Physiology, and Molecular Genetics
- Organic Agriculture
- Pesticide Technology, Assessment, and Policy
- Urban, Structural, and Green Industries Pest Management
- Research Partners
- Research Opportunities
- Spring 2014 Colloquium
- Fall 2013 Colloquium
- Fall 2014 Colloquium
- Focus Areas
Bretton W. Kent
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Office Phone: 301-405-3125
Office Address: University of Maryland * Entomology Department * Plant Sciences Building * College Park, MD 20742
- BSCI 207, Principles of Biology III
- BSCI 392, Biology of Extinct Animals
- BSCI 393, Biology of Extinct Animals Laboratory
- ENTM 701, Effective Teaching: TA Training
- CLFS 510, Concepts in Modern Biology
- CLFS 609F, Priciples of Paleobiology
- CLFS 710, Experimental Biology
- CLFS 725, Experimental Design and Statistics
Graduate Program Affiliations
- Master of Chemical & Life Sciences Program (Associate Director)
- Kent, B. W. 1983. Diet expansion of Busycon contrarium in the absence of Triplofusus giganteus. Nautilus 97: 103-104.
- Kent, B. W. 1983. Natural history observations on the whelks Busycon contrarium (Conrad) and Busycotypus spiratum (Lamarck). J. Moll. Stud. 49:37-42.
- Kent, B. W. 1987. Fossil Sharks of Maryland: An Illustrated Guide. Glossopetrae Press, Takoma Park, MD, 52 pp.
- Kent, B. W. 1992. Making Dead Oysters Talk: Techniques for Analyzing Oysters from Archaeological Sites (2nd edition). Maryland Historical and Cultural Publ., Crownsville, MD, 76 pp.
- Kent, B. W. 1994. Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region. Egan Rees and Boyer, Inc., Columbia, MD, 146 pp.
- Kent, B. W. 1996. Biology of Extinct Animals Laboratory Manual. Campus Reprographics, College Park, MD, 162 pp.
- Kent, B. W. and G. W. Powell, Jr. 1998. Reconstructed dentition of the rare lamnoid shark Parotodus benedeni (le Hon) from the Yorktown Formation (Early Pliocene) at Lee Creek Mine, North Carolina. Mosasaur 6: 1-10.
- Kent, B. W. 1998. Speculations on the size and morphology of the extinct lamnoid shark,Parotodus benedeni (le Hon). Mosasaur 6: 11- 15.
- Kent, B. W. 1999. Part 2 - Sharks from the Fisher/Sullivan Site. In: R. E. Weems (ed.). Fossil Vertebrates and Plants from the Fisher/Sullivan Site (Stafford County): A Record of Early Eocene Life in Virginia. Virginia Division of Mineral Resources, Publ. 152, pp. 11-37.
- Kent, B. W. 1999. Part 3 - Rays from the Fisher/Sullivan Site. In: R. E. Weems (ed.). Fossil Vertebrates and Plants from the Fisher/Sullivan Site (Stafford County): A Record of Early Eocene Life in Virginia. Virginia Division of Mineral Resources, Publ. 152, pp. 39-51.
- Marbach-Ad, G. P. A. Shields, B. W. Kent, B. Higgins, K. V. Thompson. 2010. Team teaching of a prep course for graduate teaching assistants. Journal of Graduate Teaching Assistant Development, 13: 44-58.
- Kent. B. W. (in prep.) The cartilaginous fishes (chimeroids, sharks, and rays) of Calvert Cliffs. In: S. Godfrey (ed.), The geology and vertebrate paleontology of Calvert Cliffs (Chesapeake Group), Maryland. University of Illinois Press.
- UMCP College of Life Sciences Faculty Excellence Award for Teaching/Advising, 1993
- UMCP Presidential Award for Outstanding Service to the Schools, 1994
- UMCP Outstanding Faculty Author, October, 1994
- Maryland Governor's Citation, 1995
- American Fossil Federation Certificate of Appreciation, 1995
- American Fossil Federation Lifetime Appreciation Award, 1999
- UMCP Certificate of Appreciation Award, 2004
- Oregon State University, B.S., magna cum laude, 1973
- Oregon State University, M.S., 1976
- University of Maryland, Ph.D., 1981