- Focus Areas
- Agricultural Pest Management
- Ecology/Biological Control
- Evolutionary Biology
- Freshwater and Estuarine Entomology
- Insect Pathology
- Molecular Biology, Physiology, Toxicology, and Molecular Genetics
- Organic Agriculture
- Pesticide Technology, Assessment, and Policy
- Urban, Structural, and Green Industries Pest Management
- Research Partners
- Research Opportunities
- Fall 2013 Colloquium
- Focus Areas
Extension and Outreach
Extension and Outreach programs housed in the Department of Entomology educate a wide array of Maryland citizens, including young and curious school children, beginning and experienced producers of agricultural and horticultural commodities, and homeowners and pest control operators battling pests in lawns, gardens, and structures.
Our network of interdisciplinary research and extension specialists on campus is linked with educators and volunteers across the state to deliver unbiased, research-based information addressing critical community concerns.
Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Provides coordination, legally-mandated reporting for all Maryland IPM programs, in cooperation with field and campus faculty throughout Maryland Cooperative Extension Service.
- Agricultural IPM, including coordination of ‘PestNet’ inter-state grower advice site.
- Urban, structural, and green industries pest management - applied research, demonstration projects, outreach, short courses.
Pesticide Education Program
The state’s lead unit for training and policy advice on use of pesticides with minimal hazard to human and environmental health, and on related issues such as development of pesticide resistance, genetically engineered insect resistant crops, etc.
Pest and Plant Disease Diagnostic Services
With Plant Diagnostic Clinic and Plant Nematology Laboratory, Entomology is the chief campus source for identification of pest invertebrates and plant diseases, providing authoritative information and training to field faculty and many other clients throughout the state.
Community and Public Schools Outreach
Insect Summer Camp, Insect Expo, school visits and other programs aimed at using insects as a medium for promoting interest in science.