Graduate Student Forms & Deadlines
Explanation of Forms
Over the course of your time as an Entomology Department Graduate Student, you will be asked to complete several forms. All of the forms described below are required and should be submitted to the Graduate Coordinator. S/he will submit them to Graduate School and/or Registrar on your behalf. Failure to submit them on time may significantly impact your progress and/or pay.
FORM YOUR COMMITTEE
- Committee Formation Form: The purpose of this internal form is to document that you have formed your committee within one year of joining the Entomology Graduate Program. It is recognized that the composition of your committee may change over time. Please notify the Graduate Coordinator of any changes.
- Report of Annual Committee Meeting Form: The purpose of this internal form is to record any comments/feedback from your committee during your mandatory annual committee meeting.
PRE-QUALIFYING EXAM (PhD students only)
- Report of Pre-qualifying Exam Meeting Form: The pirpose of this internal form is for you, your advisor, and your committee to identify your subject area of research and 2 - 3 focus areas in which you will be expected to be proficient by the time of your qualifying exam.
QUALIFYING EXAM (PhD students only)
- Qualifying Exam Assessment Form: This internal form should be completed by each member of your committee during your qualifying exam. It is intended to serve as his/her individual assessment of your performance during the qualifying exam.
- Report of Qualifying Exam Form: The purpose of this internal form is to document the final overall committee vote at the completion of your qualifying exam.
- Application for Admission to Candidacy Form: Following the passage of your qualifying exam, this form must be submitted to the Graduate Registrar. You will receive a letter from the Graduate School once the form has been processed, which you should immediately forward to Pam Biery (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Entomology Business Office. After being admitted to candidacy, you will receive an increase in your stipend, so it is critical that you submit that letter Pam immediately.
- Before your defense:
- Apply for Graduation: Believe it or not, there is no form for this. Instead, it is completed through an online portal at the beginning of the semester during which you intend to graduate. If you do not ultimately defend during that semester, your application will carry over until you defend, so you do not need to re-apply.
- Approved Program Form (MS students only): This form documents that you have successfully completed all MS degree requirements. A finalized uAchieve degree audit must be submitted along with the Approved Program Form. Contact the Graduate Coordinator for more information.
- Nomination of Committee Form: This form is used by the Graduate School to officially approve your thesis/dissertation committee. It must be submitted six weeks prior to your defense date/before the Graduate School's deadline.
- During your defense:
- Defense & Exit Seminar Assessment: This internal form should be filled out by each member of your committee during your exit seminar and defense. It is intended to serve as his/her individual assessment of your performance during the exit seminar and defense.
- Interim Report of Examining Committee: This form is filled out by your committee at the completion of your defense. It is used to establish any requirements before the committee will officially approve your thesis/dissertation.
- Report of Examining Committee: This form is sent directly to your advisor once your committee is approved by the Graduate School. It is filled out by your committee at the completion of your defense, but it should not be signed by your committee chair and submitted to the Graduate Coordinator until you have met all requirements established by the Interim Report of Examining Committee.
- IMPORTANT: Until further notice from the Graduate School, all thesis/dissertation defenses are required to be held remotely. The chair of your committee must submit a submit a Remote Defense Request well in advance of your scheduled defense date.
- After your defense:
- Electronic Publication Form: This form is used to manage permissions given to the University of Maryland regarding publishing your thesis/dissertation.
- Submit your Dissertation: You should submit your thesis/dissertation through the ProQuest ETD System.
- Graduate Program Exit Form (under construction): It is used to let us know your next steps following the completion of your degree and to allow us to continue to keep in touch with you as you progress through your career.
AFTER YOUR GRADUATE
- Department Post-graduation Assessment (under construction): It is your chance to let us know how well the Department of Entomology has prepared you for the next phase of your career.
Looking for another Graduate School Form? Click here.